Re: You might all be aware of this, but just in case ...

From: Anne Marie Tobias (mariet@got.net)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 05:12:49 MDT

Hi Tim,

I would think one of the obvious next steps is to build autonomous
robots that we can send into
space. Capable of building more robots from native materials and
programmed to build human
habitats awaiting our arrival on the Moon, Mars, any number of moon
belonging to the gas
giants and large asteroids. These robots can also collect vital
materials for human technology
and bring them back to earth (as well as our or inhabited outposts.) The
benefit of such economy,
and the value of spreading terestrial life to as many places as
possible, make this a high priority.

The fact that brilliant and creative men can produce unprecedents
results on a shoe string budget,
indicates we should be empowering such men and women to explore, invent,
and create from
whole cloth new technology.

One of the major problems encountered was Government interference and
beaurocracy. We're
a nation of inventors and tinkerers... we need to create an environment
where our best and
brightest can play, and make amazing things far all people.

I can imagine dozens of possible prizes... cheap, renewable,
nonpolluting energy. Of equal or
even greater importance, small, light, nonpolluting, efficient means to
store and transport said
energy.

Effective neural interfaces (you can't get better VR than directly
driving the brain.) Better displays
and immersive VR technology will get better fast, with or without an X
Prize. Figure gaming and
sexual interest will probably keep pushing the tech until it's gone as
far as it can go.

The cure for cancer is so close it's not even funny... as we unpeel the
secrets of our genome, the
cure for cancer and every other genetic ailment will naturally fall out.
I'm not at all certain an X
Prize there will make a difference.

Addressing Global Challlenges will require addressing Global assumptions
about being human,
and more importantly addressing human endeavor at it's most basic level.
As long as we exist in
a world given by greed, nationalism, corporatism, ethnic cleansing,
religious conflict, death vs.
survival, desease, environmental degradation, and scarcity mentality, we
will have a terrible time
making profound changes in the nature of humanity and it's institutions.
It is time for humanity to
address itself. Design a better future by choice and engineering rather
than one that simply lands
on us like Dorothy's house landed on the wicked witch. It will take more
than an X Prize to make
a dent in the mess that humanity is. However, a multinational project
with the backing of the X
Prize, to begin to design economic and sociopolitical models that are
sustainable, productive, and
generate the kind of world that would make being human worthwhile for
all people, might indeed
be a worthwhile endeavor. Clearly to sociological hangover we currently
suffer from needs to end
before it kills us all.

Cool conversation.

Marie