Re: 'The Next Really Big Enormous Thing' by Robin Hanson

From: Anne Marie Tobias (mariet@got.net)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 05:38:37 MDT

I think a highly overlooked aspect of singularity is intersocial sheer.
As the
delta of technology starts approaching very large numbers, various groups
distinguished by socioeconomic class, religions, culture, and education, are
going to embody different amounts of relative inertia to change. As the
force
of change continues to grow, we'll begin to see tearing, and nonlinear
rates
of change, rebounding, and the kind of natural behavior one might expect
at the turbulent edge of a singularity (by their very nature we begin to
notice
that singularities a noisy, messy, and turbulent... )

This turbulence is already beginning to show up in our society. In fact, I'd
dare say that our greatest fears and concerns of the day are a direct
effect
of this very phenomena.

If we are going to get through this process in any meaningful way, we may
want to begin looking at methods for reducing the amount of perturbation
encountered as we approach high rates of change.

By the way, has anybody looked at the multifaceted nature of singularity,
and how the lag time in change between different social domains will cause
pertubations of their own? In other words, looking at technology, economy,
sociopolitical structures, cultural structures, beliefs and predominant
memes,
and all the other bits and piece likely to be impacted, how will singularity
propagate through human systems? What are the repercussions? What is
the optimal means to propogate singularity, such that the most people get
through safely and relatively intact? What should our priorities be?

Just a idea I figured needing a little attention...

Marie