Tomorrow is a new day

From: Eliezer Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Nov 01 2004 - 16:20:53 MST

Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 09:08:00PM -0400, Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:
>
>>SIAI's 72-hour lightning campaign ends in eight hours - 5AM
>>Eastern time on Sunday morning. It's down to the last ninth.
>
> So how did it work out over all?

Well, the stress of all those simultaneous questions fried the
email-writing module of my brain... oh, you mean the donations campaign.

56 people donated a total of $8,071 during the Today and Tomorrow campaign.
  That's more people than donated during all of 2003.

The country of Denmark is now represented on the monument. A toast to Denmark!

Finland continued its steady march toward galactic domination.

Owing to bad user interface design on our part, many people did not
remember to designate their donations as "Challenge Grant". Tyler checked
with the first 8 people who forgot to say so explicitly. One didn't reply
and 7 said that was what they had intended. From this sample it looks to
me like a factually safe guess to say that everyone who donated during the
Today and Tomorrow campaign intended their donation to be matched, but
SIAI's Board is still discussing this, which is why no one has posted a
summary of the campaign yet. The figure currently on the website shows the
amount that people remembered to explicitly allocate to the Challenge
Grant. Bad user interface, I know, I know, we'll try to come up with some
way to fix it next time. There's also supposed to be another couple of
checks in the mail, which should almost entirely fill the Challenge Grant
regardless.

I think it's safe to assume that the Challenge Grant will be filled when
the total is added up, though if anyone wants to donate just in case, it
wouldn't hurt. We'll post another, official summary including public
support figures and so on, once we do a bit more scribbling and figuring.

SIAI had 7 donors over the $5K limit when the Today and Tomorrow campaign
started. That total is now up to 9. Both new major donors had donated
before the Today and Tomorrow campaign. SIAI could still use more major
donors to help with our public support situation.

I will try to start answering at least some of the accumulated questions
once my email-writing module recovers.

Our thanks to everyone!