Re: Tomorrow is a new day

From: Michael Wilson (mwdestinystar@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 04 2004 - 16:30:35 MST

"J. Andrew Rogers" wrote:
> Marc Geddes wrote:
>> So at least $US 300 000 per year.
>
> Double the amount of money for the same setup, and
> you might be in the ballpark.

My last company had twelve inexperienced but talented staff,
plus some experienced part time directors and consultants,
plus state of the art workstations and a modest server farm.
We spent about $420,000 in total during the year that we were
fully operational. Since people are prepared to be underpaid
just to work in the games industry, the salaries were probably
comparable to people doing it for the ethics rather than the
salary. If you want to hire top-notch staff off the shelf,
inhabit prestige offices and and a serious compute cluster,
triple that. If you want to do it in a tech hot spot and use
industry best practices and high-powered consultants, double
it again. Add the cost of a supercomputer if you think AGI
needs one. Fortunately the SIAI project doesn't need marketing,
distribution, customer support (shame, the seed AI helpdesk
would be an amusing experience) or any of those other near/post
deployment inconveniences.

 * Michael Wilson