RE: META: Memes and War [was: Tomorrow is a new day]

From: mike99 (mike99@lascruces.com)
Date: Thu Nov 11 2004 - 14:37:14 MST

Keith Henson wrote:
> To tie this back into being on topic, it is going to be hard
> enough for FAI
> to emerge in humans who are not in "war mode." "Friendly" wouldn't be
> high on the list for researchers in war mode. Consider the Manhattan
> project. http://www.me.utexas.edu/~uer/manhattan/debates.html

This is why Eli has assiduously avoided seeking any of the ample monies the
US government is spending on military or "homeland security" computer
applications. It also explains, IMO, why his definition of Collective
Volition is not the eigen vector of aggregate human desires, but rather the
apotheosis of what the "rational person" would want, just as Kant's
Categorical Imperative abjures us to uphold whatever moral principle in our
own lives that we would want others to uphold in theirs (which is like a
meta-Golden Rule).

Regards,

Michael LaTorra

mike99@lascruces.com
mlatorra@nmsu.edu

"For any man to abdicate an interest in science is to walk with open eyes
towards slavery."
-- Jacob Bronowski

"Experiences only look special from the inside of the system."
-- Eugen Leitl

Member:
Extropy Institute: www.extropy.org
World Transhumanist Association: www.transhumanism.org