Re: META: Memes and War [was: Tomorrow is a new day]

From: Jef Allbright (jef@jefallbright.net)
Date: Fri Nov 12 2004 - 12:25:40 MST

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:40:16 -0500, Keith Henson wrote:

>>>As an aside note, a better algorithm than the typical tit-for-tat has been
>>>found a while ago, but you probably know about it already, although IMO the
>>>new algorithm is against the spirit of the thing.
>>>

>>That's really interesting. Does anyone have a pointer?

The key to understanding the Prisoner's Dilemma "paradox" is a matter of
context. Within the limited context specified in the classic game
theory scenario, it is completely rational to default. We look at this
and sense a paradox, because in the larger context which we comprehend
as our reality, cooperation is always a very real option, if not
directly within the game, then in other relationships between the
participants. This goes beyond the Interated Prisoner's Dilemma game,
and has been called superrationality by Hofstadter and others.

Paradox is always a matter of insufficient context.

The recent competition where Tit-for-Tat was out-performed was an
example of cooperation outside the normal context of the game.

- Jef
http://www.jefallbright.net/prisoners_dilemma