Re: Wired

From: Damien Broderick (thespike@satx.rr.com)
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 23:28:16 MST

At 11:51 PM 11/22/2004 -0500, Keith wrote:
> From the latest Wired Magazine:
>
> http://wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,65775,00.html

There's a lot of wheel-reinventing here alongside the fMRI scans. E.g.:

< Similarly, <http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/dcvbu/staff/valspage.htm>Dr. Val
Curtis of the <http://www.lshtm.ac.uk>London School of Hygiene and Tropical
Medicine published work earlier this year showing that our sense of disgust
has evolved to protect us from disease. That sense of hygiene, said Greene,
might be the basis for so-called higher senses, such as moral feelings.

Greene is currently working on this idea. "For example," he said, "we might
describe the behavior of someone who takes bribes as disgusting. I think
that's more than a simple, learned metaphor." >

This is extremely old-hat to anyone who's read the school of Lakoff and
Johnson (METAPHORS WE LIVE BY, etc), the work of Mary Douglas (PURITY AND
DANGER) or the deconstructive discourse of Julia Kristeva on `abjection'
and disgust.

Nice to see other scientists catching up, of course. :)

Damien Broderick