Acceptance of death

From: Joel Pitt (extropy@paradise.net.nz)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 04:36:28 MST

Also would describe me, except throw some drugs in there for a brief
period of time before I realised they were pre-emptively destroying
everything worthwhile in my life.

Currently, I'm don't feel afraid, scared or anything else about death.
I am completely accepting about it. My grandmother slowly died of cancer
over a year while living with us, by the time she passed on it was a
blessing. I would like the singularity to allow us to fix all our human
flaws and actually make me *want* to live. I'm ambivalent to whether
I die, I don't delude myself into thinking I'm particularly special
(I'm smart enough to know I'm not smart enough) so I don't feel it would
be a loss to our species. I also think that once I'm dead, that my
existance is over so I won't have any regrets about dieing.

Perhaps if the things going on in the world didn't seem so bleak and the
general populace so uncaring and ignorant then I'd feel more kinship for
other people and that there was a point to everything.

Anyhow, despite my blase attitude to nonexistance, I'm still doing what
I can to forward the singularity so that maybe my attitude will change.

Joel