Re: Acceptance of death

From: Martin Striz (metastriz@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 07:48:19 MST

--- Ben Goertzel <ben@goertzel.org> wrote:

> Unlike Joel, I'm not ambivalent about whether I die -- I think that if I
> die, that will SUCK massively.... But in all probability (unless creating a
> superhuman AI on Earth 5-10 years earlier than would otherwise occur is
> going to make a cosmic difference) it won't be a tragedy, just one more
> example of the suckage that pervades the universe (an example of particular
> importance to me though not to the universe at large)

Actually, it won't suck because you won't be there to know better. The same way
that the time before you were born doesn't suck, except, unless you think you
missed something, but you DO exist now to ponder it. You won't have that
opportunity, so it won't matter. Life is fun, and as long as you keep living,
it will be fun. You'll never experience the crappy part of nonexistence.

Martin Striz