Re: Acceptance of death

From: Martin Striz (metastriz@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 10:52:06 MST

--- Ben Goertzel <ben@goertzel.org> wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> In fact I am a bit annoyed that I wasn't around for such events as the
> invention of language, the formation of the Earth from the Sun, and seeing
> Hendrix perform live at Berkeley....
>
> The boundedness of my existence in the past sucks almost as badly as the
> boundedness of my existence in the future!
>
> However, so far as I can tell, the future-boundedness is easier for me to
> cure than the past-boundedness....
>
> Hopefully once we create superhuman AI's they will help us solve the problem
> of time-travel and then we'll each be only "as bounded as we wanna be", in
> our own (optionally-consensually-shared) multiverses...

I believe that at the current rate of biomedical research, we will not obtain
the developments that we need for radical longevity within our lifetimes (being
born in 1978, I am programmed to die no later than 2100, no matter what
lifestyle choices I make). The only way that we'll be able to accelerate this
process is through new molecular techniques (most likely nanotechnology) and
more robust abilities to integrate concepts and solve problems
(supertintelligence). My only chance rests on a break in the acceleration
rate. That's why I donate to SIAI.

Cheers,
Martin Striz