Re: Acceptance of death

From: Joel Pitt (extropy@paradise.net.nz)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 17:48:32 MST

I must give a brief apoligy for my previous post, my current situation
and frequent bouts of depression have given my a rather jaundiced view
on reality. Sorry for my unproductive angst.

Samantha Atkins wrote:
> I am afraid that only you can decide that you actually want to live.
> It is probably one of the most fundamental instances of free will we
> have. Current sucky circumstances can look a bit different when
> viewed from a longer perspective. Also it is important to realize
> that what you think of yourself and your possibilities in the current
> world is all the low end of potential currently in demonstration. It
> says very little about what is ultimately possible or about you
> running in much improved circumstances with better instantiation at
> higher capability.

What I was trying to allude to was that I am fully open to achieving
a rather constant desire to exist and live. Every now and then I do
get this, which is what keeps me going I guess, as well as the
incredible difficulty in finding a full proof method of
self-termination.

> Seeming not smart enough now is not very important compared to how
> smart you can become. It is a huge loss to our species that most of
> us can't think beyond what is in front of us and our programming to
> date to see what is possible and commit to making it real.
>
> Once you are dead then one set of possibilities is ended. Game Over
> for you and all potential that started with you now. No more chances
> to play and thus no chance to win or to find/create a compelling
> "reason to be".

I'm aware that it isn't important in the long term picture, but
being the creatures we are it is difficult to just wait around
5-20 years hoping that the ability to improve ourselves will
eventuate while still getting on with ones hum-drum existance.
In the mean time I am doing everything I can to elevate my
intelligence/consiousness: meditation, daily exercise, healthy
eating, various nootropics.

Once dead the possibilities for someone do end, but my point
is that the end of these possibilities are only a concern for other
observers, not the now non-existant person.

>>Perhaps if the things going on in the world didn't seem so bleak and the
>>general populace so uncaring and ignorant then I'd feel more kinship for
>>other people and that there was a point to everything.
>
> I feel kinship with them simply because I find what is "out there" to
> be "in here" also. The point to everything is what we make the point
> be. It is not something handed to us from outside.

Perhaps that is my problem, I don't associate alot of what is "out
there" with my inner space. I don't expect to be handed a meaning to
life, but when the majority of humanity has no foresight to where we
are going it makes me unsure of any reason to continue.

I guess that is why I love SL4 and some of the people I've met, because
we are looking ahead and I feel less disjointed from society. :)

>>Anyhow, despite my blase attitude to nonexistance, I'm still doing what
>>I can to forward the singularity so that maybe my attitude will change.
>
> I think you will have to deal with your attitude on your own.

Sure, but I meant that once the singularity occurs there will be so many
things that will make me want to stay around and see what is in store
for us all.

NB: I guess this really is slightly distant from any real SL4 topic,
so if you want to continue conversation maybe we should do so off list?

-Joel