Re: {Semi-Fluff} Anti-Singularitarianism

From: Aaron McBride (aaron@apejet.org)
Date: Mon Dec 20 2004 - 09:25:28 MST

Maybe my dreams are abnormal (or, more likely - I've misunderstood your
point), but when I wake up, I don't have first person memories for the
other characters in my dreams. I know I created them, but I don't think
they have real experiences. "They" is I, and I don't remember their
experiences, so I doubt their experiences ever existed. Maybe it's kind
of like virtual particles... maybe "they" have virtual experiences that
are just real enough for to make these characters behave like real
people, but all it is is my guess at what what real people might do (but
not actually experience).

This is an important discussion to be having because it plays a role in
AI design. Unfortunately, I'm totally unqualified to talk about it, so
here I stop.

-Aaron