Re: Smart drugs - an interesting survey

From: extropy@paradise.net.nz
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 23:05:52 MST

Quoting Harvey Newstrom <mail@HarveyNewstrom.com>:

> On Dec 21, 2004, at 3:04 PM, Thomas Buckner wrote:
> > Other smart drugs work by supplying
> > more neurotransmitters, thus are more along the
> > line of nutrients (think Red Bull, etc.)
>
> > If
> > I could afford to suck down a can or two of $2.50
> > Red Bull every day, drop fifty a month on RNA
> > pills or lecithin, etc.,
>
> Why do you think Red Bull is a smart drug? You can get the same thing
> with a one-a-day vitamin pill and a can of cola.
>
> Red Bull Ingredients: carbonated water, sucrose, glucose, sodium
> citrate, taurine, glucuronolactone, caffeine, inositol, niacin,
> D-pantothenol, pyridoxine HCL, vitamin B12, artificial flavours,
> colors.

By the way, Red bull is a westernised version of Krating Daeng
which as I remember means Red Bull in Thai. It is similar,
but doesn't have carbonation and is also seems more concentrated.
Still, it is not a smart drug.

I prefer the term nootropics over "smart drugs", because nootropics
are specifically safe with minimal side effects. In fact, the most
well known nootropic, piracetam, is amoung the safest pharmaceutical
compounds around. Piracetam is also reasonably priced too if you buy
the powder direct and capsule your own.

Just thought I'd throw up the terms: nootropics, and piracetam,
for those interested.

-Joel