RE: [agi] Artificial General Intelligence Research - Help Wanted

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Thu Dec 23 2004 - 07:56:19 MST

A follow-up to my previous email...

In a private email, Moshe Looks added a common complaint that I'd forgotten:

----
Complaint: Learning to be intelligent isn’t possible without building up
abstract cognitions hierarchically from a foundation of content-rich sensory
and action streams. While Novamente can deal with content-rich sensory and
action streams in principle, it’s not really centrally designed for this.
Work on AGI should begin with study of perception and action, and then one
should ask what sort of cognition naturally goes along with one’s working
perception and action modules – and the answer may or may not look like
Novamente.
Answer: Our intuition is that content-rich media aren’t critical, rather
that what’s important for learning to think is interaction with other minds
in a shared perceptual environment in which you’re embodied. However, if
content-rich media are critical, Novamente can be used for rich sensorimotor
processing perfectly well. While it’s always possible to code specialized
processing code for each type of sensor and actuator, we believe it’s better
to begin with a common framework (such as BOA+PTL) and then specialize it to
deal with the different modalities. This is conceptually analogous to the
way the brain uses the same basic neural mechanisms to deal with the
different human modalities, and also with cognition.
----
-- Ben