Re: Fuzzy vs Probability

From: Eliezer Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2005 - 12:43:58 MST

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> If it's a, then I disagree. I think that when a science is at a
> foundational phase, philosophy has a lot to offer it. Philosophy and
> physics were more intertwined when modern physics was just starting out --
> e.g. Ernst Mach, Niels Bohr did some serious philosophical writing in
> parallel with their scientific work, and there wasn't always a rigid
> boundary between the two. Going back to Leibniz this is even more clear.
> The more mature a science is, the less need it has for philosophy, it would
> seem. Philosophy, among other purposes, helps to point the way for
> science -- but a mature science already knows which way it's going.

I think I've said my position on this subject in "A Technical Explanation
of Technical Explanation", which for those who missed it is at
http://yudkowsky.net/bayes/technical.html.

> I don't think cognitive science or AI are all that mature yet.

Are you speaking of (a) the sum of all cognitive science known to any
person anywhere on Earth, or (b) your particular thoughts about cognitive
science?