Re: When does it pay to play (lottery)?

From: Eliezer Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2005 - 04:41:31 MST

Mike Williams wrote:
>>>I consider the chance of Yudkowsky et al. succeeding to be considerably
>>>better (but still not acceptable) than the billions-against lottery
>>>chances.
>
> If I were a betting man (and I am on occasion), I'd put my money on Ben.
> Seems to me he's got Novamente halfway around the track while Eliezer's
> still trying to decide which horse he's going to ride.

And if Novamente should ever cross the finish line, we all die. That is
what I believe or I would be working for Ben this instant.

Aside from that, I don't object to your statement of fact. You can indeed
move faster the less you care about safety. We'll all die when you cross
the finish line, but hey, you were first! Yay! That is how people think,
and that is what makes the planet itself unsafe, at this point in time.