Re: When does it pay to play (lottery)?

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2005 - 15:00:43 MST

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> [...]

Exactly - you know because you know (or can fairly easily find out) what
the actual structural requirements are that such a ladder would have to
meet in order to succeed. This is a very different situation than AGI
knowledge is at currently. So your analogy is a very poor one in my opinion.

David was making statements about a technology where we still don't know
what the exact "structural requirements" are for it to work. For a
ladder we can easily use existing physics knowledge to determine whether
a design will hold up or collapse, and we can see for relatively certain
that we don't have the techniques to make it work, but for a given AGI
design there are no such hard and fast rules of such precision and
predictive strength.

--
Brian Atkins
http://www.intelligence.org/