Re: artificial evolution of AI

From: Thomas Buckner (tcbevolver@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2005 - 15:54:09 MST

--- Martin Striz <metastriz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Even if, for whatever reason, designing AI
> turns out to be an intractable
> problem, someone will eventually evolve it on
> suffiently powerful computers:
>
> http://www.discover.com/issues/feb-05/cover/
>
> Unfortunately, you have to purchase the
> article, but I highly recommend it. I
> got mine at the magazine stand.
>
> Also, I'm playing around with this:
>
> http://dllab.caltech.edu/avida/
>
> If my conjecture is true, then it seems that
> the rational design of AI *as soon
> as possible* is ever more pressing.
>
> Martin
I'm a longtime subscriber (I buttonholed Marvin
Minsky with a muscle-wire suit proposal at the
June 2001 Discover best-inventions-of-the-year
awards in NYC). This is a great article, about
scientists running a program which is 'not a
simulation, but an actual example' of evolution,
and which has demonstrated that many of the
things creationists consider improbable are
actually quite probable. For example, even
primitive eyes are useful, and complex ones
evolve easily. The link Martin offers is for that
software. Been meaning to go check it out...

Tom Buckner