Re: Human intelligence is obviously absurd

From: Phil Goetz (philgoetz@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2005 - 22:23:34 MST

The problem is harder than is suggested by the 200Hz
figure. That is a spike-firing frequency.
In many cases, we believe info is encoded in the
firing rate, so the number of sequential neuron
firings used in reacting to a stimuli is probably an
order of magnitude smaller. I think neurologists call
this the "ten-step problem", meaning that the brain
often needs to compute a response with only time
enough for 10 sequential operations. I think Newell's
book Unified Theories of Cognition says more about
this.

- Phil Goetz