RE: Neural darwinism (Re: Human intelligence is obviously absurd)

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2005 - 03:32:57 MST

> Calvin's proposed mechanism bewilders me in that
> Calvin is a very smart man who knows a lot about
> the brain, but there is AFAIK no evidence
> for the "neural darwinism" type mechanism he
> proposes, and no adherents to it except Calvin
> himself and George Edelman (admittedly another
> very smart person).

I tend to think the theory is very plausible -- though missing a lot of
important details (some of which I tried to fill in, in my own work on
speculative neuroscience in the 1990's)

Clearly others like the theory as well, e.g. see many of the papers that
cite Edelman's book "Neural Darwinism":

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/context/75278/0

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/context/283025/0

(that's by no means a complete citations list of course, just a sampler...)

-- Ben G