Re: Human intelligence is obviously absurd

From: Phil Goetz (philgoetz@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2005 - 23:24:12 MST

--- "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience@pobox.com>
wrote:

> Phil Goetz wrote:
> > The problem is harder than is suggested by the
> 200Hz
> > figure. That is a spike-firing frequency.
> > In many cases, we believe info is encoded in the
> > firing rate,
>
> I have previously disputed this assumption, not
> least because of its
> consequence. (Ten steps is just ridiculous...)

Ten steps might not be ridiculous if you can do a
Fourier transform in two steps, or do principle
component analysis in two steps. Which apparently you
can. See Neural Engineering, below. Remember the
ten-step rule is only for fast reactions, of the type
that insects manage with only thousands of neurons.

Some books you might look into, all from the MIT
Press:

On neural coding, specifically wrt spikes:
Spikes: Exploring the neural code, by Rieke and
Warland 1997.
Pulsed Neural Networks, by Maass and Bishop, 1999.

On computing with neurons: A really REALLY
outstanding book called Neural Engineering, by
Eliasmith and Anderson, 2003.

- Phil