Re: Odd questions for you all ;) Degradation algorithms versus Enhancement algorithms

From: Marc Geddes (marc_geddes@yahoo.co.nz)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 21:37:26 MST

 --- Maru Dubshinki <marudubshinki@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd think that good music is a least a little
> convergent on several
> (somewhere under a quadrillion perhaps :)?, whereas
> there are so many
> possible music pieces, most of which are bad, there
> would be many
> types of bad music. And maybe the ideal degradation
> algorithm would
> be the inverse of the enhancement but I doubt it:
> going uphill is
> different from going downhill, same's integration is
> different from
> differentiation. A randomizing algorithm would do
> fairly well
> degrading, but the inverse wouldn't upgrading.
>
> ~Maru

You would think that for any finite goal there are
many more poor strategies than good ones. And
similarly you would think that if you took some
particular sphere - art say - the set of bad music
should be at least as large as the set of good music.
But something is highly fishy. There is something
spectacularly odd going on. I'm not so sure that the
set of things with some bad attribute is matching up
to the set of things with the corresponding good
attribute. For instance if you took the set of all
'beautiful' things and that was infinite, you would
think that the set of all 'ugly' things should be
infinite as well. But I'm not so sure that's the
case. Or least the set of one might be a 'higher
order' infinity than the set of the other.

I've recently become convinced that there are
objective values/morals/aesthetics that are really
just Bayesian reasoning 'tipped on it's side' so to
speak - or Bayesian reasoning rotated 90 degrees
through a metaphorical space.

For instance reasoning can be described in terms of
two major techniques - Induction and Deduction.
Similarly all of values/morals/aesthetics can be
described in terms of two major themes - Harmony and
Growth. Now if you 'twist' Induction 90 degrees
through a metaphorical space you get one of the
central pillars of values - 'Harmony'. Similarly
'twisting' Deduction yields the second central pillar
of values 'Growth'. So Harmony and Growth are really
just Induction and Deduction rotated 90 degrees
through a metaphorical space. And similarly all the
principles of reasoning have their analogies in the
world of values/morals/aesthetics.

I'm closing in just what the 'transform' is that
converts Bayesian Reasoning to Objective Morality.
I’m convinced that is some hugely spectacular idea
that I'm *almost* seeing but I just can't *quite* pin
it down. As soon as I do... it's all over.

=====

http://au.movies.yahoo.com