Re: AGI Prototying Project

From: Phil Goetz (philgoetz@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 09:36:10 MST

--- Tennessee Leeuwenburg <tennessee@tennessee.id.au>
wrote:
> Well, I think designing in a reasonable sense of
> self-preservation of
> identity into the AGI and using a reproductive model
> will mostly take
> care of things.

I think it is exactly the opposite. As long as we
don't do that, we should be safe.

The type of behavior we are afraid of in an AI
is the type of behavior we've seen in humans
seeking personal power and pleasure. Humans
seek these things only because these goals have
evolved. A constructed machine would have no
such inner will-to-power. Neither would a machine
without a sense of identity.

So the only great threats of unfriendly AI are
posed by "seed AI" and other evolutionary approaches.

- Phil