Re: intellectual property (Re: Totalitarian Assumptions in I, Robot)

From: Phil Goetz (philgoetz@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 06 2005 - 18:36:52 MST

--- "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience@pobox.com>
wrote:

> Phil Goetz wrote:
> >
> > The general flaws in our system of government
> > are an entirely separate issue from intellectual
> > property. If your reasoning were valid, you
> > could attack any implemented policy by pointing
> > to abuses of it, which always exist.
>
> Citing any abuse of an implemented policy is a
> legitimate attack against
> that policy, which must be balanced by showing
> benefits which outweigh
> the abuse.

I thought someone would say that.
I should have stated myself more clearly.
It is legitimate to attack a policy by showing how
that policy enables abuse. It is not legitimate to
attack policy A by showing that policy A belongs to
an entire class of policies that can be abused
because of policy B. That is what the original
poster was doing.

- Phil

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!