Re: basic BayesCraft training?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Mar 18 2005 - 14:58:55 MST

Hi James,

I don't claim to have proven that Bayesian inference is not a
computationally feasible foundation for AGI. The probability that I'm
wrong is, IMO, significantly greater than zero. But nevertheless this is my
best guess.... I don't think this is an OBVIOUS conclusion; I have come to
this conclusion only after a lot of hard thinking about both probability
theory and AGI. And I realize that I haven't given an adequate
justification for the conclusion here; to do so in a reasonably brief email
would be quite hard....

As a teaser, though, I'll note that I did a fair amount of work with MAXENT
a while back. It's powerful but yet the maximum-entropy assumption about
priors isn't really good enough. Yet the Solomonoff-Levin prior is
intractable.... Is there a "middle ground" (not quite the right expression,
I know) that works for AGI yet is tractable? IMO this "middle ground" is
going to involve a heck of a lot of stuff that has nothing directly to do
with Bayes theorem but a lot to do with cognitive science..

-- Ben