Re: Universal Replicators...

From: Dani Eder (danielravennest@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 09:09:53 MST

The largest maker of automated machine tools in the
US uses their own product to make parts for more
machine tools:

http://www.haascnc.com/discover/haasway.asp

I would argue that automated machine tools and robots
will have more impact than a 3-d printer because
machine tools can process a variety of materials
(metal, wood, plastic), while the printer is limited
to a specific plastic. If they can develop a
3-d printer that can deposit a wide variety of
materials, and is low cost to own and operate, then
it will have more impact.

You still need a human to take the finished
part out of the 3-d printer and assemble it with other
parts. So I would argue that a robot that can
assemble
other robots as well as other products will have
more impact. These robots exist, by the way:

http://www.fanuc.co.jp/en/profile/production/factory1.htm

Daniel