Re: Too dumb to understand the Singularity?

From: BillK (pharos@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 10 2005 - 13:47:19 MDT

On 6/10/05, Gordon Worley wrote:
> Hi, all!
>
> I read this today and it reminded me all too much of some Singularity
> activists. Just replace "libertarianism" with "the Singularity"
> below and you'll see what I mean. Even though we like to think about
> the Singularity as a very academic issue (with apologies to Eliezer
> for saying the Singularity is academic), most people don't want a lot
> of theory. They just want to know "what does this mean to me" and
> "why should I care", not "why, theoretically, this is important to
> anyone".
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>

> > PERSUASION POWER POINT # 182
> >
> > Are Some People Too Dumb to Understand Libertarianism?
> >
> > by Michael Cloud
> >
> > "Most of the people I talk with are too stupid to understand
> > libertarianism," said Robert X (a real person). "I explain the Non-
> > Aggression Axiom, show why it is and must be the starting point of
> > all political discussions, then rationally and logically derive the
> > proper principles of politics, and then..."

And here is where the listener realises he is talking to the nutter at
the party, and starts to back away, making vague excuses, hoping he
doesn't try to follow.

Reminds me of the scene in 'Airplane' where various occupants of the
plane hang themselves, etc. to get away from the hero droning on and
on about his problems.

BillK