Re: The grey goo draws closer

From: Heartland (velvethum@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 17 2005 - 23:16:50 MDT

> What if we build a key?( or a bridge based on nanotech) I have a few
> ideas and would love to see what we could collaboratively think of.
>
> digger

This would be even mildly funny if you didn't miss the point of the message.
The point was that I *didn't* think that preventing grey goo required
building FAI, yet I thought this was exactly what Eliezer meant by his
resolve to finish building FAI before arrival of nanotechnology. I couldn't
understand why he would offer such a poor argument to justify building FAI.
It turns out that I initially misinterpreted what he meant by, "we need to
finish FAI before nanotech," as, "we need to finish FAI before grey goo,"
rather than, "we need to finish FAI before nanotech-era computers."

(Actually, my opinion has always been that only necessity of preventing UAI
threat warrants an attempt to create FAI, considering huge amount of
existential risk associated with building recursively self-improving AI.)

Slawek