Re: The grey goo draws closer

From: Dani Eder (danielravennest@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jun 23 2005 - 07:55:42 MDT

--- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins@gmail.com> wrote:

> In my view MNT is essential if we are to get to a
> truly Abundant world
> on multilple levels congruent with our benevolent
> goals and perhaps
> essential to human survival. Many of the current
> global tensisions
> that threaten devastation play off of actual or
> assumed scarcity.

Please explain why highly automated macroscale
manufacturing would not serve to generate abundance.

As an example of highly automated, the computer chip
company AMD is proposing building a 3rd factory
near Dresden, Germany with an investment of
$3 million per worker:
http://eetuk.com/bus/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=164900103

and an output of 30,000 cpus per worker per year.

This chip factory, by the way, is expected to
produce CPUs with 45 nm feature size. One could
say this _is_ boderline nanotech, since you are
almost as close to nanometer scale as micrometer
scale.

Daniel

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com