Re: Fighting UFAI

From: Ashley Thomas (Ashley.A.Thomas@dartmouth.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 14 2005 - 13:20:21 MDT

On Jul 14, 2005, at 2:06 PM, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
> Juvenile? That's one I hadn't heard before... I use "paperclips" to
> convey the idea of an AI with goals that may be simple or complex but
> are essentially uninteresting to a human. ... If you want to convey
> an actual, different concept in order to sound less juvenile, then I
> have to object: "not sounding juvenile" isn't a consideration when
> you're trying to figure out the actual facts of the matter.

"Paperclip Maximizer" is a technical term which the SL4 community
understands to describe a class of existential threats. Some members of
that community have as goals the education of non-SL4 individuals. Our
ability to work on that goal is affected by the impact we have on those
individuals, which includes the impressions of our terminology.

"Mr. President! We need to nuke Silicon Valley in the next sixteen
seconds to stop a paperclip maximizer!"

"..."

Ashley "ASE" Thomas