Re: Fighting UFAI

From: Russell Wallace (russell.wallace@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 14 2005 - 14:00:53 MDT

On 7/14/05, J. Andrew Rogers <andrew@ceruleansystems.com> wrote:
> Russell Wallace wrote:
> > Yes, wisdom requires intelligence, but intelligence does not
> > necessarily require wisdom.
>
> Define "wisdom". How does it differ from intelligence?

If I had a precise definition of wisdom, I'd be a lot further down the
road to knowing how to create Friendly AI than I am!

But I can give you an example: Consider an optimization process that
employs a great deal of complex computation in the process of
converting the universe into paperclips. Would you not agree said
entity was exhibiting substantial intelligence, and very little wisdom
indeed?

- Russell