Universalising an AGI's duty of care

From: Philip Sutton (Philip.Sutton@green-innovations.asn.au)
Date: Sun Jul 17 2005 - 19:00:20 MDT

A lot of people are still framing their discussion of friendliness goals around
prime consideration of humans.

How about adopting another frame........

I reckon we should start from the perspective of a person who is advising
the makers of AGIs in another galaxy. What friendliness goals would we
recommend that they adopt?

Taking this perspective enables us to more easily and automatically think in
a 'universal' way rather than being caught in the particularities of the earth
and humans. If AGIs are capable of developing awesome powers to shape
events in many parts of the universe than we should be concerned about
the friendliness rules of AGIs originating in other parts of the universe. The
rules that we would wish that these distant entities to incorporate in their
AGIs might well cover much of the ground that we should incorporate in
AGIs that we develop here.

Cheers, Philip