RE: Universalising an AGI's duty of care

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Mon Jul 18 2005 - 11:17:58 MDT

> I don't think it's a coincidence that golden rules are common in the most
> widespread human philosophies eg. "do unto other as you would have
> them do unto you" (golden rule 1) or "don't do unto others what
> they would
> have you not do unto them" (golden rule 2). Things seem to work
> reasonably well when diverse cultures have contacts that are governed by
> these sorts of rules.
> My guess is that AGIs on earth that adhered to both these rules
> would have
> at least a basic level of friendliness.

Again, the interpretation of the terms in these sentences requires a lot of
human context -- I wouldn't assume that nonhuman AGI's or alients would
interpret them the same way as us...

The definition of what is an "other" (i.e. what is a whole system -- a cell?
a human? a society?) isn't even an absolute given...

ben