Re: ET AGI is only a marginal concern

From: Philip Sutton (Philip.Sutton@green-innovations.asn.au)
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 15:17:55 MDT

Hi Phillip,

> The math above shows that we may just be optimally positioned to reach
> MM/AGI before many of our own parrallel universes, and certainly
> before ETs, and thus monopolizing time-travel, if it is possible in
> the universe. The hundreds of millions of light-years that our own
> super-cluster encompasses is sterile. Our primary threats are MM
> tyrannies, MM arms races, MM enabled technologies, and AGIs of an
> unfriendly nature, not aliens.

If this is so, then as you say, ET AGI may only a marginal concern to us.
But presumably the reverse is not as likely to be true according to your
calculations ie. Earth-originated AGI that are sentient-unfriendly could be a
real worry to most other sentient ETs that will be out there by the time our
AGIs start wending their way across the (multi)universe.

So what should we be doing to make sure that our AGIs are friendly to ET
sentients? (Which is actually what I asked at the beginning of this set of
threads!)

Cheers, Philip