RE: Global Brain as Steward

From: pdugan (pdugan@vt.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 22 2005 - 23:42:18 MDT

Ah, si si si. I'm argueing the exact same thing Ben. Basically: Talking about
risk (intelligently) marginalizes risk. I'm not suggesting anything like the
Big Brother AI you describe in your essay. I'm thinking more of a Forum
moderator with benigan, perhaps weakly transhuman intelligence, where the
forum consists of the entire internet. If we could enable, via non-invasive
nanotech, direct telepathy between persons, with an AGI as moderator, that
would be hot. But even if we have a bunch of weakly transhuman eggheads (in
the sense of cutting edge cognitive processes constrained by human clock
speeds) talking over the internet, that is the beginning of a "Global Brian"
working to survive and prosper. The more we interact, the more our fears
contract. I'm like a white Johnny Cochrane!

  Patrick