6 points about Coherent Extrapolated Volition

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sat Jul 23 2005 - 15:12:01 MDT

It seems there are six basic points about Coherent Extrapolated Volition that
people do not get no matter how many times I repeat them. I admit that I
wasn't as clear as I could have been in the original document, partially
because, at the time of writing, I wasn't always clear myself. Even so, I've
been repeating certain points and clarifications upon this SL4 mailing list,
over and over again, without apparent effect. Perhaps writing out the points
in capital letters will help. They may be referred to as CEV(1) through
CEV(6) in future one-line replies.

1. COHERENT EXTRAPOLATED VOLITION IS NOT A MAJORITY VOTE. NO HUMAN BEING IS
ASKED TO ACTUALLY DECIDE ANYTHING.

2. THE KEY WORD IN "COHERENT EXTRAPOLATED VOLITION" IS "EXTRAPOLATED". CEV
DOES NOT USE JUDGMENTS PRODUCED BY THE SORT OF HUMAN BEINGS THAT EXIST TODAY.

3. THE CEV WRITES AN AI. THIS AI MAY OR MAY NOT WORK IN ANY WAY REMOTELY
RESEMBLING A VOLITION-EXTRAPOLATOR.

4. THE CEV RETURNS ONE COHERENT ANSWER. THE AI IT RETURNS MAY OR MAY NOT
DISPLAY ANY GIVEN SORT OF COHERENCE IN HOW IT TREATS DIFFERENT PEOPLE, OR
CREATE ANY GIVEN SORT OF COHERENT WORLD.

5. THE CEV RUNS FOR FIVE MINUTES BEFORE PRODUCING AN OUTPUT. IT IS NOT MEANT
TO GOVERN FOR CENTURIES.

6. THE CEV BY ITSELF DOES NOT MESS AROUND WITH YOUR LIFE. THE CEV JUST
DECIDES WHICH AI TO REPLACE ITSELF WITH.

Thank you.