Re: Collective Volition, next take

From: Russell Wallace (russell.wallace@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 23 2005 - 15:25:31 MDT

On 7/23/05, Chris Capel <pdf23ds@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you explain this a bit more? There's a specific scenario I have in
> mind. The AI is created to determine the CEV of humanity, and it
> decides that the CEV is to make a large number of different societies
> run on different principles, some of which are insulated from the
> others. Do you admit that this scenario is possible?

It's certainly conceivable. Unfortunately I don't think it's at all
likely, because the historical trend has been very strongly towards
more centralization of power and a tighter web of control (and this in
the presence of increasing intelligence, education and communication,
which suggests that extrapolating for more of these things will _not_
solve the problem).

- Russell