RE: The return of the revenge of qualia, part VI.

From: Norm Wilson (web64486@programmar.com)
Date: Mon Jul 25 2005 - 13:34:24 MDT

For the sake of argument, let's assume that conscious awareness and qualia arise automatically from physics and algorithms running on physical systems (i.e., "mind equals brain") and agree that the materialists are correct in that there is no "hard problem of consciousness" which needs to be explained. Under this assumption, I'd like to reformulate the hard problem in purely materialistic terms as one of "completeness", in which the burden is on the materialists to demonstrate that his or her particular model of consciousness is complete. I submit that this problem is just as hard as Chalmers' hard problem of consciousness.

Norm Wilson