RE: The return of the revenge of qualia, part VI.

From: pdugan (pdugan@vt.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 26 2005 - 15:42:51 MDT

>Note that I do not assert that AI without qualia
>cannot exist, if you are willing to include AI
>like Deep Blue, for example, which do one thing
>well. But general AI? SAI? I doubt that you could
>pass human level without getting qualia along the
>way.
>
>Tom Buckner

   I used to think that, until last saturday when Rain Man came on at 3:00 AM.
That guy lacked qualia for many of the emotional and/or social connections we
take for granted, yet had raw, brute-force intelligence which could do
incredible things on a seemingly transhuman level. I think alot of the
speculation about AGIs paper-clipping the universe is quite valid in the
somewhat anthropomorphic analogy of an autistic AI. An AI might self-improve
in terms of intimately knowing the molecular combination of every atom on the
planet, without having any idea what the letter "q" means, much less "qualia".

  Patrick