Re: On Our Duty to Not Be Responsible for Artificial Minds

From: Mark Walker (mdwalker@quickclic.net)
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 08:28:05 MDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky"

> Providing the parents didn't abuse the child so greatly as to prevent
> his/her "normal" human growth.
>
> I presently see two incompatible views of this point, with only a slight
> overlap:
>
> 1) If you create an AI that is as good as an average human and provide a
> decent upbringing, you're off the hook after it grows up. If you tilt the
> cognitive scales so hugely in favor of kindness and love that the outcome
> is deterministic, then you have deprived the offspring of moral autonomy
> (a sin) and you are never off the hook.
>
> 2) Creating an average human, if you have the opportunity to do better,
> constitutes child abuse (a sin). You are obligated to do better than
> average - how much better not being specified.

I agree. Critics often use the autonomy argument against transhumanist
aspirations, that is, any attempt to alter humans is to violate their
autonomy. My "inverted autonomy argument"
(http://www.permanentend.org/PrincipleOfPotentialPlentitude.html) agrees
with your conclusion: to the extent that we don't try to do better then we
violate the autonomy of our children.

> > or is there something fundamentally different about
> > creating an AI?
>
> *Yes*, there is something fundamentally different about creating an AI!
> There is something *hugely* different about creating an AI! The decisions
> and moral responsibilities are those of creating a new sentient species,
> not those of raising a child.
>
> One who seeks to create a child of humankind is a higher-order parent,
> faced with a vastly greater space of options than a human mother caring
> for the product of her inscrutable womb. A higher-order parent must
> possess far more knowledge and far deeper understanding than a
> conventional human parent just to be in the game. Consequently I hold a
> higher-order parent to far higher standards; higher-order parents have far
> greater power and, I judge, far stricter responsibility. That is why,
> contrary to my earlier aspirations, I no longer seek to create a child of
> humankind - not this century, not if I can avoid it.

I agree. I think Nick's principles should say or emphasize that creating new
and potentially powerful minds incurs new or higher sorts of
responsibilities.

Mark

Dr. Mark Walker
Department of Philosophy