Re: Shock Level 5 (SL5) - 'The Theory Of Everything'

From: Samantha Atkins (sjatkins@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 17 2005 - 22:16:03 MDT

On 8/15/05, Thomas Buckner <tcbevolver@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm very interested in knowing the Theory of
> Everything; I just don't know if I would
> recognize it when I saw it.
> One of Geddes's main contentions is that
> intelligence above a certain level is inherently
> altruistic. I prefer to believe this, but I don't
> think it's provable pre-Singularity.

A good argument might me made (I am not currently volunteering one)
that non-alturistic intelligences of sufficient power are inherently
self-limiting, mutually destructive and perhaps even self-destructive.
 Thus altruism might be the only strategy allowing continued
development/existence. Perhaps the solution of the Fermi Paradox is
that this workable strategy is not arrived at all that often.

- samantha