AI-Box Experiment 3: Carl Shulman, Eliezer Yudkowsky

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Aug 21 2005 - 10:05:52 MDT

(Yeah, I know, I said I was through with them.)

If Carl Shulman does not let me out of the box, I will Paypal him $25. If he
does let me out of the box, Carl Shulman will donate $2500 (CDN) to SIAI.

Carl Shulman's argument that an AI-Box arrangement is a wise precaution in
real life may be found in his previous SL4 posts.

Anyone willing to offer similar stakes/odds can probably drag me back into an
AI-Box Experiment 4, but you must be financially capable of bearing the risk
of the bet without flinching.

If I engage in an indefinite series of Experiments, I become asymptotically
certain to lose one eventually, so I will state now that I think I have
already made my point with Experiments 1 and 2: The AI-boxing strategy does
not meet minimal reliability requirements, to put it mildly.

The Experiment is set for today, so expect to hear back within a couple of
days at the latest.

"The agreement to run the test, and the amount of the handicap, shall be
published to a public forum in advance."
        - http://yudkowsky.net/essays/aibox.html