Re: Introduction TRANSPLANTED from seedaiwannabees.

From: Richard Loosemore (rpwl@lightlink.com)
Date: Wed Sep 07 2005 - 08:12:59 MDT

I want to add my voice in support of what Justin and Ben are saying
here, and add another thought.

I was in the middle of my Ph.D. thesis (in AI/Psychology) in 1992 when I
finally realised that the systems I wanted to build *could not* be built
without incredibly sophisticated tools. I stopped work and switched
careers to become a software engineer for a while, with the aim of
finding out just what kind of tools would be needed.

I am now firmly convinced that not only can one or two people not
succeeed in the task of building an AGI, but that a team of N people
where N > 0 cannot do it, unless there is a serious revolution in the
art of software tool building.

The revolution I have in mind (and I can hear the groans starting even
as I write these words) involves the introduction of serious amounts of
"psychology of programming" into the field of tool building. I use
scare quotes around that phrase because I specifically do not mean the
kind of psychology of programming that exists at the moment. Quite
simply, the way that programmers (and all others involved) approach the
task of building large systems is based on ideas that were appropriate
for small single-processor systems, and completely inappropriate for
massively parallel systems. No account I taken of the specific fatcs
about the limitations of human minds, and until someone realises that
the path to large system building runs through a preliminary period of
revolutionary tool building, no progress is going to be made.

I say all this mindful of the fact that there are some radical projects
going on at the moment. I have looked at these, and from what I see,
the teams, though briliant, do not know anything about psychology. I
have no reason to be optimistic about those efforts.

Richard Loosemore