Re: Introduction

From: Richard Loosemore (rpwl@lightlink.com)
Date: Thu Sep 08 2005 - 14:37:41 MDT

J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

> On 9/7/05 5:05 PM, "rpwl@lightlink.com" <rpwl@lightlink.com> wrote:
>
>>How to you know I *didn't* specify the engineering problem?
>

> I don't, but:
>
> - I've never seen a rigorous specification of the problem from you. Maybe it
> is a secret, since rigorous specification is a big chunk of implementing a
> solution.

What!!? I was talking about my thesis. On this list, I have never
introduced any discussion of my thesis system. You told me, in your
original comment, that I never wrote a rigorous specification of the
system i was trying construct in my thesis .... a topic that I had never
introduced, that you could not possibly have known about, and that was
not relevant to the discussion.

> - Even if you did not want to disclose a rigorous specification of the
> problem, you have not provided any rigorous specification of this
> purportedly necessary software tool.
>

> In short, as far as I can tell the only support for your notion that some
> brand new type of software development something or other is required to
> solve AI is nothing more than your intuition. Intuition is what got us the
> last half century of fabulously successful AI designs, so color me
> unimpressed in the absence of evidence of something interesting or new.
>

>>Prior to starting that AI Ph.D. I had worked long and hard on Inmos
>>Transputers (do you know what they were? massively parallel hardware with
>>a novel parallel programming language integrated in the chip design), so my
>>comments about the difficulty level were based on real world experience of
>>massively parallel systems.
>

> Parallel == Serial == Parallel. It is not special, just complicated, and
> fairly vanilla large systems design knowledge these days. It is complex,
> but not *that* complex. I deal with this every day.

Oh, spare me!! I'm sorry, but this is complete BS. If you deal with
massively parallel programming every day, and you think it is no harder
than anything else, then you have never seen it in your life.

Not for a long time have I seen such a ridiculously naive dismissal of
the problems of parallel programming.