Re: The Relevance of Complex Systems [was: Re: Retrenchment]

From: Phil Goetz (philgoetz@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 08 2005 - 18:04:47 MDT

--- Joel Peter William Pitt <joel.pitt@gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as I see it, when complex systems exhibit chaotic behaviour
> they have everything to do with chaos theory.

No - the term "chaotic behavior", in this context, simply means
random behavior, high-entropy behavior. It has nothing to do
with chaos theory. Perhaps I should say that they aren't
exhibiting Chaotic behavior. :)

> The dynamics on the "edge of chaos" or the "onset of chaos"
> have to do with theory and conjecture about phase transitions from
> order to chaos - not chaos theory.

That's what a large chunk of chaos theory is about - paths to chaos,
e.g., by period-doubling bifurcations.

- Phil