RE: Hempel's paradox redux

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Thu Sep 15 2005 - 21:25:05 MDT

Wow!!! Yes, that is exactly it, Jef!! That is an extremely keen
observation of your part, demonstrating a lot of insight to my world-view
(flawed as it may or may not be ;-)

My current suspicion is that if one formulates Hempel's Paradox in terms of
"experience based semantics" rather than "objectivity based semantics" then
one find there is no paradox, and one finds that observations of nonblack
nonravens don't count as evidence of black ravens.

However, I don't have time today to try and make this idea rigorous, so I
had decided to keep the idea to myself for the moment. But you sucked it
out of me ;-)

The idea would then be that

-- from an objective perspective, the standard probabilistic formulation of
the Hempel situation is the best one and the "paradox" (i.e. the
counterintuitive conclusion) holds

-- from a subjective perspective, a different formulation of the Hempel
situation is the best one and the "paradox" (the counterintuitive
conclusion) does not hold

However, I didn't yet finish checking over my drafty subjectivist
formulation of the Hempel situation, and so I'm not going to post anything
substantive on it now, for fear of posting more silly mistakes. I'll wait
till my current bout of overwork finishes up and then check the idea
carefully and see if it works...

-- Ben