Re: Emergence

From: rpwl@lightlink.com
Date: Sat Oct 08 2005 - 19:35:30 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I remember there was some discussion on this list a while back regarding
> complex-systems concepts like "emergence" and their utility (or otherwise)
> for understanding AI and the world in general.
>
> Well, I stupidly left the lights on in my car yesterday (while it was parked
> for a few hours) and wound up sitting for 90 minutes waiting for AAA to come
> give me a jumpstart. In the meantime I sketched out (literally) on the back
> of an envelope what seems to be an elegant definition of "emergence" in
> terms of basic computational concepts.
>
> The p.s. to this email presents this definition. It's math-y so
> non-math-happy readers should just ignore it!
>
> The main point is to show that the notion of emergence can be formulated in
> a precise and elegant way. I have made efforts in this direction in some of
> my prior writings but I think this one is a little nicer.
>
> The basic intuitive notion pursued is that emergence occurs when one has a
> situation so that:
>
> · f is a pattern in the combination of x and y
> · There is no g similar to f so that g is a pattern in x or g is a pattern
> in y
>
> I just introduce what seems to be the minimal math formalism (or close to
> it) needed to make the above two sentences precise.
>
> The next step would be to try to do some real math modeling and see if the
> intuitive examples of emergence observed in complex systems can be easily
> cast into this kind of formal perspective
>
> -- Ben G
>
> ******
>
> P.S.
>
> OK, here goes...
>
> Suppose we have a set E of entities with an operation + defined on it. (For
> instance, E might be the set of subsets of some other set of elementary
> entities; or it might be the set of multisets formed from some other set of
> elementary entities.)
>
> The + operator may be assumed commutative and associative. Examples of
> suitable + operators would be operations of set or multiset union.
>
> Consider also a set F of function mapping E into E. Elements of E may be
> mapped into elements of F via considering them as “constant functions.”
> Define an operation * on F as function composition. Of course, * is neither
> commutative nor associative.
>
> The operation + may be extended from E onto F in an obvious way, so that we
> may now think about {+,*} as algebraic operations on F.

Wait! You can extend + from E into F only if there is a unique x in E that
is associated with each f in F. To do this you need to map elements of F
into elements of E ... and the mapping has to be injective if you want to
extend + as you suggest.

But in the previous paragraph you talked about mapping in the opposite
direction, from E to F, and that would not, in general, buy you an
injective mapping.

I think you must have meant something a lot more specific (a restricted
notion of what is supposed to be in F). Could you clarify what you mean by
"constant functions" and what F is (surely it cannot be the set of ALL
possible functions from E to E?), and how this allows you to extend + to F?

Many thanks.

Richard Loosemore