Re: AI debate at San Jose State U.

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Oct 17 2005 - 19:02:07 MDT

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:]

> Untrue. I spent my first six years from 1996 to 2002 studying the
> mechanics of human intelligence, until I understood it well enough to
> see why it wouldn't work.

To clarify: I mean "wouldn't work" in the sense of it not being a good
idea to try and build an AI using a human cognitive architecture (a plan
distinct from uploading). This has little to do with any objections to
the humaneness of humans; more to do with the instability of the human
cognitive architecture for recursive self-improvement, and the
difficulty of getting a fragile mind right on the first try.