Re: DARPA winning car 'taught' to drive, same as humans are.

From: Jay Dugger (jay.dugger@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 21 2005 - 09:36:55 MDT

Friday, 21 October 2005

<snip>
> Thrun, 38, believes robotic driving will someday advance to the point
> where human geography is changed. No longer will big office buildings
> or shopping centers need to be surrounded by big parking lots.
> Instead, cars will dutifully park themselves on the edge of cities,
> waiting for a call to come retrieve their owners.
>
> Long before then, robotic systems will save thousands of lives by
> taking the wheel at the last moment to prevent accidents caused by
> driver error.
>
> Thrun confidently concluded: ``It's a no-brainer to me that cars will
> drive themselves.''

When I talk to other Americans about this prospect, they tend to dismiss or reject it as somehow unlikely--usually for liability reasons. Some change their minds when I point out self-driving cars mean their children won't have to confiscate their keys from them when they grow too old to safely drive.

--
Jay Dugger
http://www.redcross.org