RE: Nano: Knee of the curve...

From: pdugan (pdugan@vt.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 21 2005 - 19:34:18 MDT

The nanotech your talking about is generally called "weak" nanotech. There is
a huge gap of knowledge and methodology between growing nanotubes chemically
in a perforated material template and coming up with the information
technology to manage and orchestrate the feedback loops involved in protein
folding and other molecular architechtures; this is the world altering
technology generally called "strong" or molecular nanotech. Consider that
we've had "weak" AI for decades and "weak" AGI since Lenat came out with
Eurisko.

    I had the opportunity to attend a lecture recently called "The Exciting
Age of Nanomaterials", or something like that. It was a nice older woman from
MIT discussing the technical means of building nanotubes and the like, very
SL2. I asked her how long she figured it would be before diamondoid
nanotransistors might be feasible to manufacture, she was utterly stymied and
eventually conceded an "I don't know". We're not in the knee of the curve yet,
maybe the calf.

  Patrick Dugan